Wednesday 16 September 2020

Great Barrier Island vignettes 2020, Part 6

 These vignettes touch on St John’s Community Church, the Barrier's night skies, and Gail's and my departure from the Island.

Friday January 17, 2020
Before dinner, the three of us went to Medlands Beach for a swim, and I noticed a sign taped to the picnic table: ‘Enjoy this table until 9.00 pm tonight. After that, you are most welcome to join our stargazing tour. Bookings can be made at Good Heavens.’ This reminded me that Great Barrier is an International Dark Sky Sanctuary, and I made a mental note to step outside before retiring for the night.
On our way home, we called into St John’s Community Church. Morning worship is offered each Sunday – Presbyterian, Anglican, Catholic, local residents, Methodist in rotation – and everyone is welcome at all services. The church also has a food bank, because there is some real hardship on the island.
St John's Community Church, Great Barrier Island. Photo Ann Barrie 2020

At 1 o’clock in the morning, I got up to use the bathroom, and suddenly remembered the night sky. I pushed open the bathroom window and gazed straight at the Southern Cross and a wedge of the Milky Way – so crisp, so close, I could almost touch it. The contrast between dark sky and brilliant stars was intense, perfectly framed for me.

Saturday January 18, 2020
Gail and I took a final walk to Kaitoke Beach, then packed our bags and made sandwiches for later in the day. We’ve enjoyed holidaying together, and will do it again. We farewelled David and insisted we could push our suitcases the short distance to Claris Airport.
‘Your flight’s two hours after Gail’s,’ he said to me. ‘I’ll drive you to the airport later.’
‘The wait doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I’ll watch the world go by. I’ve got all the time in the world.’  
Great Barrier Island. Information Centre at Claris Airport. Photo Ann Barrie 2020


Great Barrier Island, Claris Airport. Auckland plane being loaded. Photo Ann Barrie 2020


Blog by Ann Barrie. 

*Find information about Great Barrier Island's night skies at: https://www.greatbarrier.co.nz/great-skies/

*In 2013 Great Barrier Island had a permanent population of around 940, primarily in coastal settlements such as Tryphena at the southern end. Other communities are Okupu, Whangaparapara, Port Fitzroy, Claris and Kaitoke. There is no central power, and houses require their own generators. There is also extensive use of solar water heating, solar panels for electricity and wind-powered generators.
*A little gallery of photos to finish. The first one shows a quirky pine cone picked up during one of our road trips with David. The second is lovely knitwear from the Heritage & Arts Centre at Claris. And the third shows Gail's & my friend, Val, stepping into a small plane at Ardmore in 1964.
 
*






No comments:

Post a Comment

Charlie Herbert at 100. Part II of II

  My father, educator C M (Charles MacKenzie) Herbert looked back on the educational influences that shaped his life and identified seven st...